Veganism has been exploding in popularity during the 2010s, and not just in alternative lifestyle meccas like Brooklyn and San Francisco. Vegan-only restaurants are sprouting like alfalfa across the country. Popular mainstream restaurants are now offering vegan options. Even the IE isn’t immune from soy tacos and dairy-free pizza. Thing is, modern vegan cuisine can actually taste surprisingly good, and I say this as a steak-loving carnivore. So if you’re dating a vegan, have vegan friends, are a vegan yourself, or simply want to try something new, here is your guide to vegan options in our little corner of California:
- The Last Drop Cafe – The Vegan Out sandwich and banana chocolate chip cookies are especially good.
- Loving Hut – Claremont and Upland – International vegan chain, different menus at both locations, with Upland leaning more Asian.
- Zpizza – Claremont and Upland – Many vegan pizzas.
- Le Pain Quotodien – Soups, quinoa cakes, and more with all vegan options clearly marked on their menu.
- Some Crust Bakery – Vegan muffins and chocolate chip cookies.
- I Like Pie – Small personal pies, with vegan versions available on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
- Eureka Burger – Has a burger patty made of red beets and kidney beans.
- Bowl of Heaven – La Verne – Nutritious bowls and smoothies.
- Sanamluang – The area’s most famous Thai place can modify dishes to be vegan.
- Ashirwad the Blessings – Funny name, but an authentic all-vegetarian Indian menu, and no shortage of vegan dishes..
- The Junction – Korean/Mexican fusion, with some vegan options like this bibimbap.
Rancho Cucamonga/Ontario Area
- Citrus Kitchen – Choose your protein, your side, and top it with a sauce.
- Zait Bistro – Veggie kababs, falafel, and other Mediterranean fare.
- My Delight CupCakery – The Cookies & Cream cupcake is popular even with non-vegans.
- Bright Star Vegan Thai – Along with tofu, there are soy versions of fish, chicken, beef, and shrimp.
- Vince’s Spaghetti – Rancho Cucamonga, Ontario, Temecula – This IE favorite can serve spaghetti with a vegan marinara sauce.
San Bernardino Area
- Rose Apple – Choose your meat substitution and get anything from Thai fried rice to green curry.
- Happy Family Vegeterian – Delicious vegan sweet ‘n sour pork and orange chicken.
- India’s Clay Oven – Always has multiple vegan options in their buffet.
- Muffin Top Bakery – Redlands – Has many vegan pastries.
- The Living Root Cellar – Redlands – Cold-pressed juices, smoothies, burgers, tacos, and more.
- Vegan Korner – Colton – Specializes in all-vegan pizzas including loaded meat, buffalo chicken, chorizo, and chicken alfredo. They even have cheesy garlic bread and even calzones.
- Oasis Vegetarian Cafe – A ton of options including burgers, burritos, drinks, and more.
- Health’s Kitchen – Mostly uses Riverside-grown produce.
- The Living Root Cellar – In addition to the Redlands location above, there’s one in Riverside.
- Burger Boss – Build your own burger with a black bean patty.
- Indian Kitchen – Large menu with vegan and vegetarian options.
- So Cal Subs (formerly Grand Terrace Grinders) – Has a signature sandwich with vegan turkey meat.
- Muffin Top Bakery – Redlands location highlighted above, they also have a branch in Riverside.
- For UCR Students – Check out this (rather long) PDF guide on where and how you can get vegan options on campus.
- So Good Gluten Free Foods – Vegan brownies, vegan pizza, vegan sandwiches, vegan Caesar salads, all made in-house.
- E.A.T. Marketplace – Many choices, from vegan breakfast scrambles, donuts, and wraps.
- Earth Bistro – Family-run restaurant with an emphasis on pure, fresh ingredients. Make your own vegan pizza and finish with some vegan cookies!
- @ Thai BBQ – Murietta – Most of their menu can be made vegan.
- Mantra – Very well-ranked amongst the IE’s Indian restaurants, plenty of vegan options.
- Pepperoni Xpress – They not only have vegan versions for most of their pizzas, but vegan calzones as well!
- Vince’s Spaghetti Express – Part of the Vince’s empire in the Ontario area, also has vegan pasta sauce.
- Hi Tofu – Korean Tofu dishes and Bibimbap.
- Lazy Dog – Rancho Cucamonga, Temecula – popular chain, but with vegan options.
- Souplantation – Chino, Rancho Cucamonga, San Bernardino, Temecula, La Quinta – Has a very large all-you-can-eat salad bar.
- BJ’s Brewhouse – Chino Hills, Rancho Cucamonga, Corona, San Bernardino, Moreno Valley, Victorville, Menifee – Can do vegan on request.
Just Outside the IE
- One Veg World – West Covina and Pasadena – Popular, all-vegan menu with a bit of everything, with fun entree names like Zesty Serendipity, Mama’s Love, and Supernova Pasta.